Thursday, January 6, 2011

Time for Prayer

Being a mom @ home to 3 children and trying to be a mom @ the NICU at the same time, is difficult. but all seemed to be going well for the first week of their lives with a few set backs. Azonte had and infection, high sugar and be anemic, so he needed to be on Antibiotics, insulin and needed 2 blood transfusions, but he was tolerating his feeds (which was only 10ml every 2 hours. Javarii was off the ventilator within a few hours and was also tolerating his feeds (same as A)
he also needed a blood transfusion.

Dec 30 I was able to change Javarii's diaper for the first time. Who would of thought changing a diaper would be such a blessing? but On Jan 2 things took a turn for the worse for J.
He was having problems breathing and his stomach was so swollen measuring 23cm. They ended up putting him back on the ventilator and taking him off of feeds to rest his stomach. After doing xrays, the drs thought he might have NEC, they told us 4-5% of preemies get it and there is a 70-80% of survival. He then became in critical condition and needed to be put on a JET ventilator which gives smaller breaths in his tiny chest. His right lung had collapsed. they also put him on antibiotics for the infection and morphine for the pain. He also has high sugars and is on insulin. My lil baby boy was so sick. After doing some more tests, the drs told us Javarii also had pulmonary Hypertention and needed to be put on a machine to give him Nitric because he wasnt producing it, like a body normally does. Jan 4 they did an ultrasound of his head to see if there was any bleeding in the brain. The results are, that there is grade 1 bleeding on the right side, and Grade 2 bleeding on the left. The drs will redo the test in a few weeks, but have told us that the brain should absorb the blood and heal its self. We are praying everyday that my baby gets strong and healthy. He is such a fighter, I'm proud to call him my son.
Seeing my son so ill broke my heart as a mother. I wanted to take his pain away and make him healthy so I could take him home.
As of today Jan 6, Javarii is doing better. His head is still very swollen, and he is still on the JET but his need for oxygen is almost @ 21 (which is room air) and his need for Nitric is none. The test results came back for the stomach infection (NEC) and it was negative. So they are stopping the antibiotics, and starting him on small feeds again.(breast milk)
I over heard the nurse tell another nurse that she thinks he will be off the JET by the weekend.
From Canada, to Africa around to England, we have been praying for his health to improve, and God is answering our prayers. I hope that this time next month, I will be able to post that I was able to hold my baby, as I have not been able to hold him as of yet.

Azonte is also making wonderful progress. He had high sugars for awhile and was still on Antibiotics but as of Jan 5, he no longer needs insulin or meds. He is still on CPAP but went from 7 to 6 and is breathing room air 21%. I first got to hold my son on Jan 4, which was such a blessing.It was a sweet and sour day for me. My one son is very ill, but I was able to finally hold my other baby. To feel his warm skin against my skin was such a feeling I can not describe. His cheek on my chest, oh what a wonderful feeling. I was also able to kiss my baby for the first time that day, words can not express the joy I felt. I have been able to hold him everyday since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment